Wednesday 30 June 2010

Maturity

I have just finished reading 'Maturity' the second of the two books by Osho that I bought in the Borders Administration sale (the other being 'Body Mind Balancing'). I recommend both of them to you. Osho defines maturity as growing-up. All of us grow old but few of us grow-up. If the title puts 'younger' people off reading this book that would be a shame because it would be useful to read it sooner rather than later! Osho describes the changes that we go through in 7 year cycles and the lessons and experiences appropriate to both. As I move into the 8th cycle some opportunities have passed me by but I can still make the most of the remaining ones if I wake up now.

I don't feel that Osho's teachings are particularly provocative. They seem to me to come from the same source as those from mystics and teachers of various traditions but, with the emphasis on taking responsibility for yourself and dropping your conditioning, I can see how they might get up the nose of the authorities! I guess that because of the era in which Osho was active, the improvement in communications and his widespread popularity he was more of a threat than other teachers and writers. Read the book for yourself and make your own mind up!

No comments:

Post a Comment