Saturday 19 June 2010

I haven't forgotten this blog it's just that I've been rather busy recently. Among other things I've been teaching myself xhtml and css. I created our websites (www.yogawithanne.co.uk and www.yogawithmark.co.uk) using MS publisher (in my defence I didn't know any better!). It didn't take long for me to become frustrated by Publisher's quirks, foibles and limitations. Not being able to make some improvements for s.e.o. was the final straw. I decided to ditch Publisher but what to use instead? Feeling I didn't want to go down the package route again I resolved to learn html but didn't take it any further.
Mark's new aikido club wanting a web presence gave me the opportunity to create a website from scratch although the need for something to be done quickly to promote the club did put additional pressure on me! I got something basic out fairly quickly and, in a fairly short time, it has evolved into a functional, well organised (though I say so myself)  site. Check out the results of my efforts. xhtml and css haven't been too difficult to pick up but IE's interpretation of standards, it's little foibles and catering for IE6 & 7 as well as IE8 has driven me to distraction! The website will never be finished (I've already plans to implement printer friendly pages, include more photos, video clips, random quotes, search facility, more pages...) and I will never be satisfied of course but I'm happy with it as it is at the moment. So I am putting future development on hold while I convert the yoga websites. I'm going to start with www.yogawithmark.co.uk as it's the smaller and less complicated of the two sites. The plan is to use the Wellsprings format and 'simply' incorporate data from the current site. I have still to make up my mind what to do with www.yogawithanne.co.uk There is a lot of material on the site which I don't feel inclined to convert. My feeling at present is to convert the core pages and perhaps leave the rest as an archive (but I'll have to do something about navigation). Hopefully as I work on Mark's site over the next few weeks the way forward will become clearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment