Thursday 28 January 2010

Vanda Scaravelli, her legacy and my yoga

There is a new article on the website Yoga with Anne (at 3 x A4 pages it is too long for this blog). Its title is "Vanda Scaravelli, her legacy and my yoga" subtitled "Or why I won't be calling my yoga Scaravelli Yoga".
It begins with a short biog of Vanda Scaravelli  - no new revelations here just material that is widely available. This is followed by a exploration of why Vanda did not want to create or give her name to a style of yoga and how to people unfamiliar with Vanda's teachings, terms like Scaravelli Inspired, Scaravelli Approach and Scaravelli Tradition are synonymous with Scaravelli Yoga and how by using such terms to describe their yoga, teachers are actually endorsing a separate type of yoga. (The article turns into a bit of a rant here - sorry, I didn't mean it to, it just came out that way.)
Having understood that I can no longer label my yoga I then go on to convey with mere words my yoga practice and how it feeds into my teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment