Thursday 3 December 2009

Ustrasana - the camel

It's been a little while since I've looked at ustrasana (camel pose) in my practice and when I have practiced it I have been keeping my arms overhead to shift the focus away from trying to reach the heels and to keep space in the body.

Today as I practiced it dawned on me that maybe, rather like the sage pointing his finger to the moon, the yogis were bringing their hands to their feet to draw attention to the foot and it's importance to the action (the fool only sees the finger or in this case the hands on the heels!).

Using the feet as in the standing poses and bringing the back of the head back brought me into a very happy camel (although the toenails were not so happy at finding themselves pressed so strongly into the floor) and the hands found the feet effortlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment